Saturday, July 16, 2011

attitudes and earthquakes

I told you I am lazy. I explained it the first time I tried this "blog" thing. Been quite busy this past year, tied up with work, raising kids, supporting a family and along the way a lot of interesting events happened which I thought would be a great topic to write about. But then again, I told you I am lazy.

Let's get this started before I run out of batteries...

"Tied up with work" means as it is. It means routine and it also means food on the table. Was actually given a promotion last year which I am very thankful of. Not a very lucrative promotion though, but it sure did increase my loan capacity with the banks and all. hahahaha...

My position requires me to oversee all the drawings, designs and some personnel management of a certain division of the office but since my immediate superior was also promoted ( to be the big boss of the office), he took me along to act as his secretary. People say that it means power, I say it just means more work and I'm no power tripper. I believe in free speech and ideas, i'm a bohemian who like things laid back and easy. I salute them great people of the 60's and the 70's, the golden age of rock, free thinking and creativity, the offshoot of which is the generation that I belong. (read previous blog)

There had been several attempts to revive or better yet re-live my music career (if there was any), an old friend suggested to form a new wave band, it made me think if I can still do it. Sure, my guitar playing is somewhat decent, but not the level of playing that I once had, and I admit the passion is not as intense as before. Needless to say I borrowed some stuff from friends to get me started once more only to end up playing the same old tunes over again. Used to practice for hours on end during those days when all that matters is to be a guitar god. It was fine during the first few nights practicing. Much more like a trip down memory lane while playing those old yet classic tunes. There was an instance when I jammed with a band about one year ago. Had a drink too many to cool the nerves, ended up having double vision I can't see the strings, it was truly a disaster. (I ain't no Joey "Pepe" Smith who can get away with it...)

What really kept me preoccupied this past 3 years was Ultimate Frisbee. I really was into the game that despite the age differences with my co-players I persevered. Tuesday and Thursday nights is Ultimate Frisbee night for me. Nobody can disrupt that schedule except maybe for a typhoon (we do wet games) and health issues. I trained hard the same way those kids half my age train, we joined a lot of tournaments, been to a lot of places and met a lot of people in the frisbee community. It made me fit, increased my stamina and endurance and also gave me a chance to lead these young kids. It has been my idea to "set-up" the club, build up a set of ideals, values and principles for them young kids to follow (on and off the field) when their time to lead comes. Being a game without referees, it is a game of honor and honesty, we call it the SPIRIT OF THE GAME. It's more than just a game to me, applying such principles in life I think can make one a better person. I tried instilling such ideas in a very subtle way to them kids, very gently that is since I am dealing with various personalities. There was a moment where I was very blunt in pointing out the reason why a certain game collapsed, but I did not point out the flaws in their play or the lack of communication in the field, I told them it was a lack of respect for each other and their attitude that affected their game, "that is not the kind of people our club is made of", I said. There, hoping it gave you an idea of the kind of principles and ideals I am talking about. Anyway, it's been almost 3 years and there had been some ups and downs, had been praised, had been looked upon (which is not really the point here), had my first TV interview and was recently insulted. No point to elaborate here, it's just time to move on I guess, pass the torch, ease off and let them be.

Hmm, that was quite a mouthful...

On other news, I still believe that life is a constant struggle, that's what makes this thing called life interesting and worth living. Be it a need for perfection, a search for inner peace, or the drive to be successful, such things keeps us up day after day. The thrill and excitement of success or the pain and suffering of rejection and failure. You can never tell what the next day is gonna offer. This past week our region was rocked by earthquakes, both of which I failed to notice or experience. The first one I was sleeping like a log, and the other one while I was driving. No matter, even those smart scientists in their immaculate white robes and hair, in this modern day technology, still couldn't predict when the next one's gonna happen. I say we leave it that way. That way people can give, share and make love like it's the end of the world...

No comments: